Wednesday 18 January 2012

Copenhagen

On Monday, I was in Copenhagen to give a lecture on ship design developments in Danish international liner shipping to the Skibsteknisk Selskab. I stayed overnight in the magnificent SAS Royal Hotel, architect Arne Jacobsen's great masterpiece, which is still remarkably intact and retains much of its 1960s jet age elan.





The grand foyer:










My room:



Dinner in Cafe Royal:







Room 606 - maintained in 'as built' condition:






Arne Jacobsen-designed door furniture and lights:




The original restaurant space, now used for conferences:



The present top floor gourmet restaurant, Alberto K:


 The view from Alberto K. with Crown of Scandinavia approaching from Oslo:





Next, I went to the Skibsteknisk Selskab to give my lecture. Due to the unfortunate sinking of the cruise ship Costa Concordia, my host Professor Hans Otto Kristensen and I were interviewed by Danish television to appear on the TV2 Ten O'Clock news:


Part of the audience for the  lecture:




Dinner after the lecture:

1 comment:

  1. Slightly different conditions from your lecture in Clydebank today Bruce, but I'm sure the audience enjoyed your work as much as they did in Copenhagen. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete